Tuesday, April 24, 2007

PowerPointless Presentations

OHH!! Don't get me started!! Over the past few years, I have seen PowerPoint become the "thing to do." I've seen the wonderful and ridiculous. I have seen PowerPoints that have made material come alive for me. Through the presentation, I was able to make stronger connections to the material through both the speaker's words and the ever-so-important visual stimulus we kids need today. I have witnessed more BAD PowerPoints than good. On one hand, there are the PowerPoints with ADHD. You know, those with animated graphics, letters, and anything else you can think of. Then, on the other hand, there are those coma producing PowerPoints that lull you into the best sleep you have ever had. I think copying notes off PowerPoint slides is as close to Hell as I care to get. I have had more of these experiences than I care to remember. Oh, wait, I can't remember!! And that's the entire point. PowerPoint presentations should ONLY be used to supplement a well-planned lesson. It should serve as bonus material not the feature presentation. PowerPoints can greatly enrich a lesson or presentation by providing extra features and outlines of topics. It allows the spectator to focus on the material and make visual and auditory connections. Overall, I am a fan of PowerPoint. When used correctly, it can truly benefit all involved.

No comments: